Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Jared's First Baptism

Dear Jared,

Last week, Craig and Laura were in Boston, so we kept Megan for them. Mikayla was giving the FHE lesson on the plan of salvation. She explained where people would go after they die. Then she asked Megan where she thought she would go. Megan proudly pointed to the Celestial kingdom. Then she asked where Megan thought Taylor would go. Megan said, " I don't know what kind of choices he is going to make!" Then she asked, "Where do you think your mom will go?" Megan replied, "My mom sure does make a lot of mistakes and she gets mad at me a lot, but I still think she will go here." (as she pointed to the Celestial kingdom). We were busting up. It was so funny.

The girls and I went to Vernal for the weekend to spend time with Grandma and Grandpa. We did a little yard work and watched a couple of movies. We even took Megan DeVries with us. We made it home Sunday morning in time for church. 

Mikayla got her patriarchal blessing yesterday. It was neat. She cried throughout part of it, when it talked about her future husband. So cute.

We went to grandma and grandpa Wise's for our annual Easter egg hunt last night. She even baked us a Birthday cake. So yesterday was a pretty great day.

All is well here. We love you lots. Everyone is always asking about you and how you are doing.

Grandpa Mott wants more info on the Elder Mott from Bountiful. 

Did you meet the family that ate at Spanky's last week? They are in your ward.

How's your bike?

"Be believing, be happy, don't get discouraged.  Things will work out." 
- Gordon B. Hinckley

I love you Jared, and I am so proud to be your mom.

Have a great week.

Mom


Hello everyone,

This week's been great, but the weather's been crazy. It's been raining almost the whole week and everything's turned green. It's really beautiful. Friday night I heard the tornado warning siren for the first time. I guess it happens a lot here. It was really windy with a huge thunderstorm that completely lit up the sky. We got like three inches of rain that night, but the tornadoes didn't even come close to us. Kind of a bummer. I really want to see one.

We've been meeting with a bunch of interesting people lately. I saw a lady yesterday that can grow a better mustache than I can, somebody that converted from a Satan Worshiper to a Mormon, and somebody named STEVE HOLT!... We've got a new investigator named Bob. We tracted into him a little while ago and it seems like he's interested. He read the chapter that we gave him...twice. He's a really nice guy. Hopefully we can continue to make progress with him. He really liked church. 

Since I'm companions with the District Leader, I get to go on exchanges every Wednesday. Last week I went to an area called Greencastle. All that's really out there are corn fields, Christmas tree farms, and a college. We started off the day by doing service at an old folks home. We played cards with them for our service. Yuker was the name of the game, and I'm still not really sure how it's played. All I know is that those old folks are good at their card games. I didn't win a single game. I did blow their minds with a magic trick though, so that was cool. Later on in the night we went tracting on the DePauw University campus. It was cold outside, so there weren't many people there, but we talked to a few people and managed to set up a few return appointments. It was a different experience from tracting door to door.

Thursday we had a meeting back at the mission home in Carmel for the new missionaries. They've made a few changes. New missionaries are now with their companions for at least two transfers, so I'll be staying in Plainfield with Elder Moore until at least June. We have an extra hour to study, and...new missionaries will be able to become trainers after only three months into the mission instead of six months which is FRIGHTENING. I still have no idea what I'm doing. I can't imagine training a new missionary.


And now...for the best news of the week... We had a baptism! Brother Horman baptized his wife! It was such a good day. You can really tell how much the gospel has helped their family grow closer together. They said before they were happy with where they were at, but now their life has improved so much they can't imagine not having the gospel. They're such a strong family, and I'm really proud of the decisions they've made. 

Love you guys,

Jared

PS. I don't think I'm related to Elder Mott. I asked him about grandma and grampa Mott, and he dosen't know them. I think he said his dad is the only member of the church in his family.

The bike's been great.

I met the family that ate at Spanky's...pretty crazy.

Also, Happy birthday. I'm in the process of making a card, but I've been crazy busy. I'll try and send it today though.

No comments:

Post a Comment