Monday, April 18, 2011

Indiana Slang

Hello, everyone!

Things are going great here in Plainfield, Indiana. Elder Moore (from North Ogden) and I have been busy. This week has been pretty hectic. I've gone on two companion exchanges already. Once with Elder Mott (from Bountiful!) and once with Elder Bronk, one of the assistants to the president. Both were great experiences. It's nice to see how other missionaries do things and to learn from experiences with them. We've met with a bunch of really nice people, and some crazy ones (REALLY CRAZY). We went tracting a few days ago and had a lot of success. Four people in a row were interested and wanted us to come back. It was a nice change from the usual day tracting. We've been meeting with a family called the Hormans lately and it's been great. The husband was raised a member but kind of went inactive when he was a teenager. He's married to a nonmember and they've got a five year old daughter named Lilly, and a three month old girl named Harper. They've been really interested in the gospel. He's been working really hard, and he just got his priesthood back, so now he can baptize his wife this Saturday. They're such a wonderful family, and I'm really excited for the baptism. They're already so strong. Right after they saw the movie about Joseph Smith they planned a trip to Nauvoo to see the sights and do baptisms for the dead in the Temple. Plus they have a trip planned for next year to go to the Salt Lake temple and get sealed as a family. It's families like them that really remind me why I'm out here doing missionary work.

We were going to go golfing today, but it looks like it's going to rain now, so our plans are canceled. We've been getting a lot of rain this week. People here don't even have sprinkler systems because it rains so much. Rain rain rain.

I've got a few minutes so I'll teach you some Indiana slang.

Hoosier: Someone from Indiana
Worsh: Wash. Examples... "I'm going down to the crick (creek) to worsh my clothes" "I'm going to take a trip to Worshington DC" etc.
Couplethree: I'm not really sure what this means. I guess it's a measurement. Could be two, could be three. Nobody knows. "I'm going to the grocery store to get a couple-three bottles of soda"
House apes and Curtain climbers: Grandchildren.

P.S. Did you ever send my driving record from the DMV? I'm going to need it.

P.P.S. Taylor, I want my $50 you owe me.

Love,


Jared

No comments:

Post a Comment