Sunday, March 27, 2011

Running a Marathon

I've been thinking lately how preparing for a mission is a lot like preparing to run a marathon. Actually for me, it is a half marathon. A full marathon seems really out of reach. In any case, the analogy works.

First we choose a race we want to run, we sign up for it. Some of your best friends are going to do it with you. Then comes the training. When you first start, the distance is short and very doable. Only two or three miles. Then the miles start increasing and training gets tougher. One day you look at the training schedule and you start to doubt yourself. Am I capable of such a feat? But, you have the encouragement of all your friends and family.  Somehow they all have faith in you, Perhaps more faith than you have in yourself.

You just keep plugging along, just doing what the schedule says until finally you have done it. You are ready for race day. Then it all hits. What am I doing? Why did I agree to this? It seems scary and daunting. I even paid for this opportunity. The bus ride to the beginning of the race is long and there is plenty of time for self doubt to creep in. It is early, cold and dark.

Finally, the race starts, it's not so bad. It's actually sort of fun. The sun comes up somewhere along the way. You pass a lot of people and a lot of people pass you. There's lots of adrenaline and excitement. You're doing great. There are definitely some ups and downs along the way, but you keep going. You feel good.

The last mile is the hardest. You are ready to be done. You are running out of energy, but you push on. You set small goals to keep you mentally awake. You stay focused. You cross the finish line with your head held high. Life is good.

You did it. You had an amazing experience. There is a lot of pride in your accomplishment. You are stronger and better off for having completed such a goal.

Such is your preparation for a mission. You choose to do it. You spend years training; going to church, to Seminary, praying, reading scriptures and Family Home Evening. You submit your papers and wait for the call. Then the doubt sets in. Can I do this? Am I ready? Have I trained enough?  There is worry, stress and anxiety about the unknown.

Then the day arrives to go to the MTC. It's race day. There is a lot of emotion, excitement and anticipation. It's not so bad. There are other people there that you know. The fear of the unknown melts away like a Popsicle on a hot summer day. You can do this.

You have your ups and downs, just like in the race. But you are strong and you stay focused. You rely on the Lord during the tough times. Before you know it, you are approaching the finish line. Your mission is coming to an end. The last bit is the hardest. You have to stay focused. Finish with your head held high. It's hard because now you will say goodbye to all the amazing people that you have passed along the way, the friends that you have made. You may not ever pass this way again. It was an amazing experience. You are so much better off for having done it. You are stronger. You have so much potential. Although you have have blessed the lives of many, you are the recipient of most of the blessings.

I write this as I am training for yet another half marathon. I'm in the self doubt mode. There is a lot of training that lies ahead. Am I capable of doing this again? Of course I am. It'll be hard, but once I cross that finish line, I'll be so proud of myself and so full enthusiasm and confidence that I will probably do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment