Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Transferred to Carmel

Hello Jared, 

What an exciting but sad week, if you can use those two words in the same sentence. Sunday morning I was coming home from an early morning meeting when I saw an ambulance at the Collard's home. Topher was running up behind me. He had heard over the scanner that Ed was unresponsive. We went inside to see what was going on. He had passed out at the table while eating breakfast. When he came to, he was clammy and disoriented. They hauled him to the hospital but after running some tests and finding nothing wrong, they sent him home.

Then, Dad came home from on Monday with some tickets to the Jazz game. After dinner we headed over. We were about an hour into a pretty exciting game when dad got a call from work. He talked for a bit then turned to me and told me he had to run into work. Taylor, who has gone with him on several occasions, wanted to go. They handed me the car keys and took off on foot. They ran all they way to the conference center where there were fire alarms going off. Shortly after they arrived, here came all the fire trucks. They met in the lobby and Dad led the firemen to the elevator. Taylor turned to dad and said, "This is on my bucket list, to go into a burning building!". As soon as he said that, one of the security men saw Taylor and told him he had to wait outside. Bummer! A life dream shot to bits!

Dad guided the firemen to the source of the fire and was right in the middle of all the commotion. Taylor stood outside watching all the emergency vehicles show up. Finally after about 45 minutes, Taylor called me and we met him at the car to go home. We missed the end of the game, which I later heard went into triple overtime and the Jazz won. Dad didn't come home until 11:00 the next morning.  The conference center sustained a half million dollars in damages, but considering what the whole building is worth, we were lucky they were able to contain it so quickly.

Fortunately, the week got better after that.  I was in charge of a Stake Youth movie night. We watched "17 Miracles". We had over 200 attend. I was happy for the turnout. Friday night, me and the girls, along with Becky and Emma, went to see the play "Father of the Bride" at Hale Center Theatre. It was a cute show and the girls enjoyed it. Dad and Taylor went to an indoor football game and then drove to a Vernal late that night. They worked all day Saturday to help Grandpa put in a new fence. I heard that all the way out there, they played leap frog with a Shelby Cobra. Taylor was driving when he came up on the Mustang who was going the speed limit. Taylor opened it up and flew past him. On the next straightaway, the old car raced by and so it continued for miles until they were going over 100 mph. I'm sure the testosterone levels were soaring as well as the adrenalin. Sigh. Boys will be boys.

Saturday night was our ward Pie Party. That was fun. Sit around, eat pie until you're sick, then go home. Sunday I went to Jaesi's mission non-farewell. She did a fantastic job. She's really funny and she kept all of us captivated. A mission will be good for her! Cooper Hansen got his Mission call. He's going to South America. I can't remember where, though. Maybe Bolivia? He doesn't leave until August or September. Other than that, nothing too exciting this week, hahaha. I'm excited to find out where you will be going.  You didn't answer my question about voting. Do you want me to send you an absentee ballot? Also, you got a tax refund. It's several hundred dollars. What do you want me to do with the check? I can send it in a package to you, deposit in your checking or savings, or forge your name and go shopping. If you don't respond, I will do the latter. :)

Love you, 

Mom


Hey!  

All is well here. Last Monday and Tuesday Elder Santy and I spent the day saying our goodbyes to people before I left Bloomington. It's a bit of a bummer to be leaving after only three months, but I'm happy to be in my new area. I am now serving in the Carmel ward with a fairly new missionary. His name is Elder Tobler and he's only been out for three months. Carmel is great. It's a really nice area. It's on the north side of Indianapolis. It's where the temple is eventually going to be built. There are tons of huge houses here. I'll have to take some pictures to send next week. There are lots of gated mansion commuities here. It's nuts!

We're teaching a pretty good ammount of people here. There are a lot of missionaries living on our street. There's us, the Assistants to the President, two office missionaries, and we share an apartment with Elders from the neighboring ward. It's a lot of fun here. Parts of this area remind me of Plainfield. There are a lot of great bike trails everywhere and it's beautiful here. We live right next to downtown Carmel in the Arts and Design district. I'm excited for the next few months working here with Elder Tobler. He's a great missionary and we're going to get a lot of work done.  

Love you!  

Elder Wise

No comments:

Post a Comment