Sunday, August 7, 2011

A Sweet Tender Mercy: A Phone Call from Plainfield

August 7, 2011

The Lord has a sweet way of sharing tender mercies with us. I was sitting home alone a few days ago when the phone rang. It was Ann's mom from Plainfield, Indiana. She called to give me a little report on Jared. He is serving in their ward right now. She said she was sure that Jared was telling me all the details of everything that was happening, but thought she'd report, just in case he wasn't. I assured her by the length of his letters, he wasn't giving me any details at all.

They had a ward party to celebrate pioneer day. Of course, the Elders were invited. After dinner, they did a stick pull, like Joseph Smith used to do. Jared and his companion sat down on the floor across from each other, both holding on to the stick, they said "go", and with one pull Jared whipped his companion into the air. Haha He's a pretty strong guy.

Then they had a pie eating contest. Some of the sisters had made pies for the occasion. They asked the Elders to participate. They politely declined. Soon the whole ward was chanting, "Elders, Elders, Elders". They brought out plastic to cover their suits and soon the missionaries relented and participated. Jared did a face plant into the yummy creme pie. Although he didn't win, he was a good sport and gave it a good try.

She said he is really losing his shyness and is a super great missionary.

They had Missionary Sunday and asked the Elders to speak. Jared stood up and said something like, I usually like to start my talk off with a joke, but I couldn't think of one, so instead, I wore the ugliest tie I had. The audience got a good laugh out of that. (I'm happy to know that he's still got his sense of humor.)

During his talk he used Doctrine and Cocentpants 18: 15-18
15 And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father! 
16 And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the kingdom of my Father, how great will be your joy if you should bring many souls unto me! 
17 Behold, you have my gospel before you, and my rock, and my salvation. 
18 Ask the Father in my name, in faith believing that you shall receive, and you shall have the Holy Ghost, which manifesteth all things which are expedient unto the children of men.

Then he bore a strong testimony. She said she could tell he came from a good family and that he was a great kid. "If he were my son," she said, " I would be standing tall and proud". She reassured me that he is doing a good job and that I should be proud to be his mom. I couldn't be more proud! I love that boy.

She told me not to worry about him. He is a good Elder. They pray for the missionaries, but especially the ones they know. It's good to know Jared is getting extra prayers.

By the time she finished, I was sobbing. I'm so thankful to know he's doing great and he's happy and having fun while he's doing the work. I'm thankful for this sweet, tender mercy!

No comments:

Post a Comment